Art Heroes


Whether we like it or not, we are all inspired by the world that surrounds us, listening to new ideas or seeing a stunning piece of artwork.  This week, Textilia members talk about which artist has been the greatest influence on their work.

I have many but Ben Nicholson instantly came to mind.  I Love his colour palette & abstract simplicity.  Julie

The artist who has had the biggest influence has been Jackie Morris, the amazing Welsh illustrator, but right now it’s Lorna Graves, a stunning Cumbrian artist.  Jo

David Hockney is an artist who hugely inspires me. His wonderful works on the Yorkshire Wolds are truly stunning. I was lucky enough to be able to stand in front of “Bigger Trees Near Warter “ which was incredible. But it’s not just his paintings, his book Secret Knowledge is a fascinating read and I love the way he has embraced technology and uses his iPhone and iPad to create paintings. How amazing would it be to spend a day hidden in a corner of his studio!  Kirsty

When I really think about it I think my inspiration comes from the Ashington Pit Painters and I hope they would be proud of my contributions to textile art in a pit village. Maggie

I was blown away when I first saw Cas Holmes work, I love the way she layers fabric, print, stitch. And her work has something to say too.  I did a weekend workshop with her, which introduced me to several new (to me) techniques but one of the main things I have taken (particularly from that workshop) is not being afraid to cut up, rearrange or overprint when something isn’t working (or even if it is!) to move the work forward.  Gemma

Mine would be textile designer Lucienne Day for her abstract botanical designs and bold use of colour and scale.  Claire

Loving Art History as I do, it would be difficult to pick one artist. Same goes for textile artists but I came across a quote some years ago which I thought quite appropriate. It is from the Art Critic and poet, Okuwi Enwezor. "Something as seemingly innocent as fabric, comes loaded with political, social, historic and cultural metaphors..."  I have often produced work which has referred to some of these issues.   Sue

Comments

Popular Posts