Creative Thoughts Julie Coghlan

October's Creative Thought is by Textilia member Julie Coghlan

‘From Yorkshire with Love’ which was my last project was a tribute to my late father John Asquith and my Great Aunt Connie. Milk bottles and postcards were the inspiration as they were prolific collectors of both.



‘Needles and Pins’


‘Inheritance’
‘Yesterday once More’
Since losing my beloved Mum, I decided to reflect on her life with Dad and base my work on more contemporary pieces, using favourite artists, their love letters and memories of her, for inspiration.
Mum was born into a confused and unhappy world. She never knew her father. Those sad early days changed dramatically and for the better when she met Dad, the man who was to become her husband (1956) and father to her three beloved children. He served in the RAF in Karachi, Pakistan during their courting period; the legacy of their love is beautifully reflected in the many love letters exchanged between them.
Since the deaths of my parents who died tragically only 7 weeks apart, I found great happiness in the words of these letters expressed by Dad in particular, which he was unable to articulate in the spoken word.
My project reflects their early lives in Yorkshire. They were born and grew up in Leeds, honeymooned in Harrogate and I was their first child who was born in Leeds in 1957.
Our Textilia3 meetings in Cliffe Castle, Keighley are giving me a real sense of belonging.
These images relate to the stained glass windows of Cliffe Castle Museum.





The different techniques used for these pieces are, Felt making, screen printing and ceramics.
Often I draw and paint grounds before each piece is assembled many times; using layers of fabric from my ‘bag of stuff’ and any other bits and bobs.
Each piece is then hand stitched, pinned, glued, stapled or free machine embroidered.
For me using pieces of family history is rewarding in the extreme.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts